Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sometimes, I Get Lucky Too...

Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

I'm pretty lucky to have a job, where I get to travel a little bit, always around Wisconsin, and get to see more of our state...

I realize people from other places will argue with me on this, and they might be right in their own ways...

But this morning, I was up at four AM, I was driving to Appleton... And I got to watch the sunrise over Lake Michigan... It was a pretty good time...

Then, of course, as I sometimes do, I started thinking...

I go through different stages of my life, at one point I wanted to be a firefighter, so I went to school... Once I wanted my own radio station, so I built a transmitter...

And it seems like my new thing is boating...

Now I don't know if I love it so much because I can't do it too often, Wisconsin effectively puts a damper on that with it's 11 1/2 months of winter...

But the times I'm on the water, seem like really good times.

Now, I think this might be hard to explain to people that aren't boaters, but I think all the best times I've ever had were on a boat.

Times when I was young and had the chance to go fishing with family and see the sunrise...

To the times just last summer where I could take people I cared about out to see the lighthouse...

See, boating, while being about boating, is actually about so much more...

One person riding on my boat really made me realize it...

The river my boat is constantly on, is right in the middle of the city, and some not so nice neighborhoods... But she mentioned that if this is what she knew of my city, she would have never guess it was this city...

On the water, at night, you can look back at the skyline, and everything seems so calm and peaceful...

It's a side of this city that makes it special, and a side that not everyone gets to see...

I took my girlfriend out to see the lighthouse this past summer, at night... It was amazing.

It wasn't doing anything other than what lighthouses normally do, but it was still amazing.

It was a combination of events...

The lake looking like a sheet of glass someone laid down as far as the eye could see...

The way the moon reflected perfectly off the water...

The sound of the bouys out in the distance...

The cloudless night, and the ability to feel like you could see every star there ever was...

It all came together at just the perfect moment...

And although I shut the motor off and just drifted for a few minutes, it seemed like hours...

And I don't think a day goes by where I don't relive that night over, in my mind.

No comments: